The Undead Gatekeeper


     So recently I had a writing prompt in English and we had to write a story. The prompt was you were leaving the movies and you don't have enough time to make it home by your curfew. I really enjoyed writing this, and I hope you enjoy reading it!



    As I started to walk out of the movie theater I expected to be blinded. That wasn’t the case though, as it was pitch black outside. I glanced at my phone and saw that it was almost ten o’clock. It would take at least fifteen minutes to get home and I only had five. I started running towards the cemetery, knowing it would shave at least ten minutes off my time.
 
    I ran in the front gates until I was forcefully stopped by a mean caretaker. His piercing blue eyes stood out amongst the paleness of his face, and although he had a sort of hunch in his back, he still managed to stand almost perfectly straight.  Next to him sat a cat so black, it was practically invisible in the darkness of the night.
 
    “You can’t go in there!” the specter shouted as he stepped towards me. I stepped backwards with every step he took, and at this rate I’d be out of the gates before I could say dead meat!
 
    “Please, I really need to get home!” I begged while trying to step past him. “If I don’t get home in time my mom will kill me!”
 
    He stepped towards me and started to raise his voice as he said, “You heard me! It’s private property! I’ll call the police.”
 
    “If I don’t get home in time my mom will kill me!” I pleaded as I once again tried to get past the caretaker.

    He grabbed my arm as I stepped past him. His warm breath was in my face as he whispered, “Don’t step on the gravestones!”
 
    Knowing that the cemetery isn’t that big, I was sprinting as fast I could to get home. I was so close I could see the fence when disaster struck.

    I tripped over a rock, but looking down I saw the one thing I was warned about…  I was standing on a grave.
 
    Not only was I standing on a grave, but there was a person standing in front of me. As I looked up I realized something, I could see the decaying fence through him!
 
    “W-w-who are you?” I stuttered as I stepped away from the man.
 
    “I tried to warn you!” somebody screamed from behind me, “But you didn’t listen, did you?” As I turned around I saw the caretaker, but there was something different about him. I walked toward him until I realized what it was, he was translucent too!
 
    “What do you want from me?” I challenged as I step forward. “You don’t scare me! I can obviously tell that this is just a joke, you’re not really there, it’s just a hologram. See!” I declared as I reached through the figure. As I did this I started to feel my feet lifting off the ground until I landed in a tree.
 
    “I warned you not to step on the graves!” he snickered as I felt myself falling towards the ground. “You should’ve listened, now you’re about to become one of us!” Just as I was about to hit the ground, I jolted awake.

    “Makenzie! Makenzie! MAKENZIE! The movie is over it’s time to go,” my friend Morgan said agitatedly. “You need to leave if you want to get home on time!”
 
    “What time is it?” I asked groggily as I stood up.
 
    “It’s about nine o’clock. I can’t believe you slept through the movie! You missed the most amazing thing! Now we have to rewatch it so we can talk about it,” She ranted as we walked out the door.
 
    “It’s a date! But for now, we’ve gotta get home,” I apologized as I started to walk off, “Are you coming?”

No comments:

Post a Comment