Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins


Rebel Belle

by Rachel Hawkins
  • Book 1/3 in the Rebel Belle Series
  • Published April 8, 2014
  • 353 pages
  • 12+ years
     "Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts. Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him--and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

     With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more."-Amazon



   Positive Things

Storyline

     Lately, I seem to be reading a ton of unique books. I haven't read anything that was copied or cliché. I wasn't disappointed by Rebel Belle, it's unique storyline drew me in. I couldn't stop reading it, and I loved the idea. A girly-girl who only cares about her appearance to others, turned into a warrior defending her enemy with her life. An everyday boy finding out he's an oracle and that his "aunt" isn't really even related to him. I loved the storyline, I mean how couldn't I?  "Southern Belle" get's a new meaning when it comes to Rebel Belle.

Character Development

     Hawkins created a great group of characters, all managing to fit in together, yet be their own person at the same time. Every character stays true to themselves the whole book, while growing and maturing along the way. For example, in the beginning of the book, all of Harper's choices were based on what was good for her, but by the end her choices had everyone's best interest in mind, even if it ruined her life. I feel that Hawkins did a great job of developing her characters and making sure they were true to themselves.

Romance

     Hawkins creates a great rivalry turned romance scenario. It was a classic enemy to friends to lovers plot and I loved it! I feel like Harper and David were both strong main characters and that their relationship was well paced. She also showed the loss of affection well between Harper and Ryan well, and I enjoyed it too. The romance was well-thought through the whole book and couldn't have been written better.

   Drawbacks

Ending

     The only problem I had with the book was the ending! It leaves me wanting to go buy the book, and I don't have the money for it. It ends in a cliffhanger that I can't wait to solve. Hawkins created a perfect ending for the book, while still leaving enough mystery to read the next book. Unfortunately, I don't have the $10 for the next book, or $12 for a hardback cover.

    Overall

     Rebel Belle was a great book and I'm hoping the next book doesn't let me down! I believe that the 5 stars was very deserved and if there was a higher rating, I think it would receive it. Rachel Hawkins also writes the bestselling Hex Hall series, which I'm hoping to try eventually. In the end, I think everybody should try Rebel Belle, as it's an awesome book and action-packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment